Monday, November 8, 2010

Zettai Kareshi ~First Thoughts~

Okay!
So I'm about to start on episode 4 of Zettai Kareshi!
First off... let me run down what I like... and don't like!

CONS:
1.) The storyline isn't about a girl in High School like it was in Watase's manga, but rather about a young woman in the business world of confectionery sweets! This Con/Pro I'm on the fence about, because while it works better in my mind logically... I don't know if I like that drastic a deviation from the manga.
2.) Soshi. Okay let me explain this one. I LOVE Soshi in the manga. I LOVE the Soshi in the Drama too. BUT... they're not the same Soshi! This deviation from the manga kinda irks me... because Soshi was supposed to be Riikou's childhood friend, right? The guy next door who looks after her all the time and who's got bookish good looks. In the Drama, he's a playboy-ish flirt, which does work with my mental image of his actor, Mizushima Hiro (who played Nanba in "Hanazakari no Kimitachi e"). I really like Mizushima-san... but in my head, he's not the TRUE Soshi.
3.) Ishizeki. Okay so this wouldn't have been a bad thing... if he weren't played by Kyo Nobou (who played Oscar in "Hanazakari no Kimitachi e"). I mean, I like Kyo-san but... it just threw me. Seeing him as evil REALLY threw me. Hurt my brain.

PROS
1.) Gaku. I know I know... I should like this Gaku cause it should screw with my head because he's a complete opposite of the manga Gaku. But seriously! How can I NOT like Sasaki Kuranosuke (who played Sanada in "Fuurin Kazan") in this?! He makes me giggle!
2.) The confectionery / business take. I know I hate manga deviation, but this reminds me a lot of "Hotaru no Hikari" via the whole workplace atmosphere. Plus all the sweets makes me think of "Antique" so there's another J-Drama plus there!
3.) Asamoto Masashi. I EFFING HATE HIM! Which is good cause I think you're supposed to hate him. Nakamura Shunsuke is doing a terrific job of turning Soshi's older brother into a complete bastard that you just want to beat with a stick. I literally, after episode 3, said to myself. "He needs to die painfully..."

As a side note, the ending theme, "Okaeri" was done by Ayaka, who did one of my favorite video game songs ever, "Why" for the "Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core" OST. It's a terrific song by a fantastic artist!

So yeah... so far... I'm likin' this show!

No comments: